Individuals with a disability partake in lower levels of physical activity than the general population. This lack of exercise can contribute the risk of developing a serious, preventable disease such as obesity, diabetes, or heart disease.
However, we know that we CAN work to reduce the risk of developing these diseases by improving our activity levels.
With the help of an exercise physiologist, we can all move and exercise our way to a healthier body and mind. So, what do you need to know about the human body’s most effective medicine, and the people who deliver it?
Here’s the lowdown on the importance of movement, and how exercise physiology could save your life:
- In 2015, lack of exercise contributed to 10–20% of preventable disease in Australians, including diabetes, bowel cancer, uterine cancer, dementia, breast cancer, coronary heart disease and stroke.
- An exercise physiologist is a healthcare professional who delivers information and advice about exercise, so that clients can manage and prevent injuries and chronic conditions.
- Other benefits of exercise include improved mood, stronger immune function and better overall quality of life.
- Exercise physiologists can help absolutely anyone to improve their lifestyle and their wellbeing. Whether you have a chronic disease or are at risk of developing one – or simply want to get fit, shed a few kilos or improve your mental health – exercise physiology can help.
- While exercise physiologists do deliver customised exercise programs, that’s not all. For long-term success, there’s a lot that needs to underpin your movement prescription, including detailed advice, support and counselling, to help you overcome old habits and establish really positive new ones.
- If you have a disability, an exercise physiologist can help you to develop a healthier lifestyle, improve daily living skills, increase independence and participate more in your community.
- Less than one in four Australians (aged 18 to 64) are meeting recommended targets for physical activity. So, if you’re one of the under-active 75% and you’re ready to make a change – or if you’re facing a particular health challenge – exercise physiology can help. Care Squared’s allied health professionals will work with you to create a program that meets your goals, and fits with your lifestyle and capacity.
- Care Squared exercise physiologists can tailor exercises to suit your personal physical capabilities.
Let’s start building a healthier, happier, longer life, today!
Would you like to schedule some time with an exercise physiologist to talk through how a tailored exercise can improve your wellbeing? Complete the form on our exercise physiology page and our Care Squad will be in contact with you.